Saturday 4 June 2011

New Hope #1

Right. I was tempted to apologise for my lack of action over the last couple of weeks. However, I realise that I currently have 0 followers so I'm not sure if there's anyone who is going to be disappointed. But if there are some secret stalkers of this blog then, sorry.

In my first post I mentioned that it was really three bands that had led me to start this blog. Now I don't want you to think that I think I'm the first person to ever declare their love for these bands. I am no pioneer. But I think there are a lot of people who won't have been exposed to these artists. And they should be. I want people to like what I like. Although the chances are that if they ever become really popular I will probably say I never liked them anyway. That's the kind of cock I am. So yeah....

New Hope #1:


This is a band from the Blue Mountains in Australia (which, incidentally, is a place I have been to...it's very lovely). My sister told me about them a few months ago and I liked them immediately. I think they have both clear influences and routes but they also have a freshness to them. For me, that is a balance that only the good bands have. It is virtually impossible to sound completely original which is why an artist has to balance the stolen stuff with a their uniqueness. Their music is very sunny but also, on some songs, a bit psychedelic. They are just really, really good. Their first album Bliss Release is out now in the UK having been released a while ago in Australia and it has already won the Australian version of the UK's Mercury Music Award (basically, the best Australian album of the year). So they come with a fair bit of hype. I saw them in April with about 50 other people in a place called the Cooler in Bristol and it was ace. Also my sister thinks that the girl synth player in the band looks like a transsexual. I think this is, perhaps, an unfair description but please make your judgement on that. Anyway I should stop chatting. I will post two songs. The first is the one which I think could break them. It's quite radio-friendly but that doesn't mean it isn't good. And the second is not on the album but I think it gives a great indication of their versatility. Oh yeah and the band are called Cloud Control.

Creedence.
















No comments:

Post a Comment